Typography is two-dimensional architecture, based on experience and imagination, and guided by rules and readability.― Hermann Zapf
Pop Quiz: What was the first typeface to land on the moon?
In today’s issue:
- The Emotional Weight of Typography
- Why Do Modern Logos All Look The Same?
- In Other News: The Perfect Digital Pencil
Let’s dive in, shall we?
Feel the Font: The Emotional Weight of Typography
Demystifying the emotional influence of typography and how to leverage expressive type in your designs.
Does Type have an Emotional Impact?
There’s no denying that type evokes strong emotions and feelings that affect our overall experience of a brand. But what’s the science behind it?
2021 research conducted by Monotype and Neurons showed how different fonts evoke varying levels of memorability, trustworthiness, sincerity and confidence, confirming the hypothesis that we have an emotional relationship with type.
How to Choose Meaningful Typefaces
You can easily influence your audience’s emotions by choosing meaningful type that matches the vibe.
Here are some popular types of fonts and the emotions they evoke according to font psychology:
- Sans Serif: Simple, straightforward, sensible, neutral
- Serif: Timeless, formal, traditional, stable, respectable
- Mono-spaced: Edgy, technological, sophisticated
- Bold or Black: Dominant, confident, significant, loud
- Fonts & Feelings: Does Typography Connote Emotions? – Hubspot
- Using Typography to Convey Emotions – Gravity Group
Logo Look Book
Cookie-Cutter Logos: Do All Logos Look the Same These Days?
Understanding the evolution of logo design and why most brands are embracing simplicity and minimalism.
Why Do All Brand Logos Appear Similar These Days?
Do all logos look more or less the same to you recently? You’re not alone!
Brands are increasingly adopting minimal, type-only logos. The reasons include:
- Simple logos are more scalable as they can be adapted to multiple screen sizes without losing legibility.
- Brands want to appeal to a global audience with standardized aesthetics hence limiting diversity.
Logo Redesign Trends of 2022 📈
Retro Roots. Many companies like Cadbury are returning to their roots and embracing retro-revitalization. This design trend provides the perfect balance for brands with a rich history.
Brand Identity-focused Logos. Companies such as GSK are revamping their logos with a focus on their brand identity. The visual elements and feel of the logo finds its way into the website, applications, company merch etc.
- Are Logos Really All Starting To Look The Same? – Creative Bloq
- Why Do So Many Brands Change Their Logos and Look Like Everyone Else?
In Other News: The Perfect Digital Pencil ✏️
How to Choose the Right Stylus + Our Best Picks
- The Best Tablet Styluses for Digital Sketching
- 8+ Best Pens and Pencils for Designers
- How to Choose a Stylus for Drawing and Writing on Your Tablet
Stylus On a Budget – DIY Your Own Digital Pencil!
The Answer: Futura was the first font to land on the moon.
Futura made history in 1969 when NASA chose it for the Apollo 11 mission. The font was engraved on a plaque and left on the surface of the moon. It might still be floating around in space to this day!